Terms and conditions

All-Inclusive Day Tours, Shore Excursions, Transfers and Package Vacations

All our package vacations are all-inclusive and include:

  1. An English-speaking driver who will chauffeur guests throughout the service. Our driver will be able to provide guests with interesting information about the places visited, monuments and history, as well as with more general information about Italian culture and tradition.
  2. A suitable private vehicle to be at the complete disposal of guests for the duration of the vacation package.
  3. A licensed tour guide, when requested or provided in the package, who will be able to offer informative and interesting artistic explanations within the various museums and attractions.
  4. The full cost of the guests’ accommodation. This includes check-in and check-out, daily cleaning of the apartment, and change of bed linen when staying at Agriturismo Bocelli or Bocelli Luxury Apartments.
  5. The cost of breakfast, lunch and dinner either in local trattorias or restaurants or prepared in-house by our chef at Agriturismo Bocelli.
  6. All tickets to museums and attractions, including tickets to the Teatro del Silenzio concert, as well as any additional fees for advance reservations to avoid lines on the day of the concert.

Tour variations

  1. Service providers (hotels, agritourisms, restaurants, chefs, etc.) mentioned in our itineraries may be liable to change. In this unlikely case, they will only be replaced by other providers of equal or higher quality and will not alter the standard of our services.
  1. The itineraries mentioned on our website may be subject to seasonal changes. Proposed activities may have to be substituted due to natural disasters, sudden weather changes, temporary closures, strikes or any other problems for which the tour organizers cannot be held responsible. Other changes may be made in order to accommodate seasonal excursions such as the September grape harvest, the October olive harvest, or truffle and mushroom picking in the appropriate season. Changes made will be made in order to improve the service provided and will always be of equal commercial value.

Teatro del Silenzio Concert Packages

  1. Customers who intend to purchase Bocelli Teatro Del Silenzio packages or services should be aware that, in the event of concert cancellation, no refund will be applicable to other services included in the package (such as transfer services, tour services, lodging, and food services), as they will be provided by Bocelli FarmHouse as scheduled during the booking process.
  1. Tickets for the Teatro Del Silenzio concert are non-refundable in the event of a ticket holder’s no-show or cancellation of the concert due to inclement weather or other situations that may affect the performers, staff or audience. Please note that we cannot guarantee that notice of such cancellation is possible before the date of the event.

Package Vacations

To successfully book a vacation package with us, please adhere to the following booking procedure:

  1. He/she will need to contact us or our partner company in his/her country via e-mail. If the customer wishes to book a Bocelli FarmHouse package, he/she will contact the tour operator who has exclusive rights in the country in question to sell and promote these services.
  2. The client will then need to fill out an online booking form that will be provided by our customer service department and will be available on our website. This form will include the customer’s personal information and that of our partner company if the customer books with us through another tour operator.
  3. The client will receive an e-mail from our customer service department containing the bank details necessary to pay the 40% deposit. Payment will be made by bank transfer or credit card, and the customer will send a receipt to our administrative office at in**@bo**************.com.
  4. Once the 40% deposit has been paid, the customer will have up to 50 days before the start of his or her vacation package to send, by bank transfer or credit card, the remaining 60% of the total amount for the requested services.

Please remember to send the receipt of payment to our administrative office at in**@bo**************.com.